Added in 2002, our beautiful disc golf course at Avalanche Park in Boyne City, Michigan was in disrepair and needed some love. Trash and vandalism had become an issue, and navigation was difficult for players who were unfamiliar with the course. We formed the Boyne Valley Disc Golf Club in 2013 in order to protect, maintain, and improve this wonderful asset to our community. We promote responsible game play, good etiquette, and keeping the course clean and safe for all park users. Our mission statement also includes growing the sport and volunteering to help other local clubs and courses.
Club Charter and More Club Stuff Find Us on Facebook
Email = firstname.lastname@example.org
Club Director = Jason McCary, 231-459-8527, email@example.com
Rob Wiltjer, 231-675-4623, firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary & Webmaster = Forrest Omland, 231-350-3660, email@example.com
Tournament Director = David Gross, 231-675-9366, firstname.lastname@example.org
We're always looking for new members! Detailed membership page coming soon. In the meantime just email us for more info. Annual dues are just a $5 donation to the club.
Club & Course Progress
2013 First Year Accomplishments
- Established a good relationship with the Boyne City Parks & Recreation Commission and with the Boyne City Parks Department (Maintenance).
- Grew club to 35+ members and held weekly league play on Wednesday nights.
- Made scorecards available at the main welcome sign and on our website.
- Provided lots of additional trash barrels out on the course (one for every hole).
- Numbered each of the 18 basket poles.
- Added 14 new "next tee" navigation posts with arrows.
- Touched up paint on the original baskets and repaired badly damaged basket #6.
- Prompted the city to have several large downed trees cleared from hole #8.
- Improved several gravel tee boxes by adding new log frames.
- Added plastic tree protection on holes #3 and #7.
- Installed 4'x6' rubber tee pads on holes #12 and #18 for trial surface player feedback.
- Started replacing all of the tee signs with new wooden routered ones.
- Received city budget proposal approval for 10 new baskets in 2014.
- Bettered the DiscGolfScene course ranking from #99 to #57 by the end of Sept.
- Hosted the Haunted Hyzer disc golf tournament in October (the first in many years).
2014 Goals and Ideas
- Finish replacing all of the tee signs.
- Add log benches to the back 9 holes.
- Install 10 new Discraft Chainstar baskets (front nine holes + practice basket).
- Help the city replace the large welcome sign in the parking lot.
- Get the course map corrected and updated on various websites.
- Create our own club bag tags to add a fun competitive element to the game.
- Try other tee pad materials on a trial basis (such as diamond dust or special pavers).
- Add a few optional tee pads so that some holes could have red and blue tee boxes.
- Hold another Haunted Hyzer and possibly a Mushroom Festival weekend event as well.
- Lobby to be part of the Northern Waters Disc Golf Series in 2015.
- Draft proposals for possibly adding 3, 6, or 9 more holes to the course in 2015.
- Be among the top 40 ranked Michigan courses on www.discgolfscene.com.
What's Going On
- Avalanche League Play We're taking a break for now (the snow is too deep) but spring is coming soon!
- 2014 Club Meeting Schedule
1st Tuesday of each month, 6:00pm at Jason McCary's place in Boyne City.
Tuesday 04/01 Tuesday 08/05
Tuesday 05/06 Tuesday 09/02
Tuesday 06/03 Tuesday 10/07
Tuesday 07/01 Tuesday 11/04
Any changes will be posted here.
- Club Logo Designs By Ethan Knott
- New Tee Signs By Jason McCary
2013 Club Members (40)
- Sarah Archer
- Nick Barnes
- Hunter Brisson
- Devin Dunlop
- Corey Eaton
- Darren Eaton
- Ric Evans
- Bill Fuller
- Dave Fuller
- David Gross
- Scott Gross
- Cory Haight
- Aaron Himmelspach
- Patrick Hood
- Roman Idolski
- Ryan Kasper
- Ethan Knott
- Brian Kuhs
- Mike Madison
- Jason McCary
- Cole Morison
- Forrest Omland
- Tom Pluister
- Adam Raphael
- Jesse Reda
- Nick Rockey
- Josh Romstadt
- Adam Sessions
- Joshua Siwek
- Tyler Skea
- Tom Snider
- Aaron Sulak
- Bill Towne
- Todd Urman
- Erik Van Horn
- Russell Van Horn
- Rochelle Wieber
- Rob Wiltjer
- Jonathan Winslow
- Nick Zavesky
- Italics = Founding Club Member
- Bold = Honorary Lifetime Member
Avalanche Hole #7, flick shot
Avalanche Hole #3