Added in 2002, our beautiful disc golf course at the Avalanche Preserve Recreation Area in Boyne City, Michigan was in disrepair and needed some love. Trash and vandalism had become a big issue, and navigation was difficult for players who were unfamiliar with the course.
We formed the Boyne Valley Disc Golf Club in 2013 in order to protect, maintain, and improve this wonderful asset to our community. We promote responsible game play, good etiquette, and keeping the course clean and safe for all park users. Our mission statement also includes growing the sport and volunteering to help other local clubs and courses. Click HERE to view our full club charter document.
Club & Course Progress
- Established great relationship with the Boyne City Parks & Recreation Commission.
- Grew club to 35+ members and started weekly league play on Wednesday nights.
- Created scorecards and made them available at the main disc golf course sign.
- Provided trash barrels for every hole on the course and helped empty them.
- Touched up paint on the original baskets and repaired badly damaged basket #6.
- Added 14 new "next tee" navigation posts.
- Added perforated plastic tree protection on holes #3, #4, #7, and #8.
- Received city budget proposal approval to buy 10 new baskets in 2014.
- Hosted our first annual "Haunted Hyzer" disc golf tournament in October.
- Improved the course ranking on Disc Golf Scene from #99 to #57 in Michigan.
- Grew club to 75+ members and continued weekly league play on Wednesday nights.
- Installed 10 new Discraft Chainstar baskets (front nine holes + practice basket).
- Adjusted all baskets to the same correct height and added new number stickers.
- Added log benches to every hole on the course and 2 more picnic tables.
- Made a new path from hole #1 to #2 coming up from behind the tee pad.
- Added a concrete paver tee pad on hole #2 (trial material for evaluation).
- Hosted another very successful "Haunted Hyzer" tournament in October.
- Course ranked #39 in Michigan on Disc Golf Scene with 73 reviews on 12/5/14.
- Replaced all of the tee signs.
- Installed 5'x10' carpet tee pads on 9 of the 18 holes (trial material for evaluation).
- Added wood chips around the tee pads, on the paths, and under the baskets.
- Made a new direct path from hole #10 to #11.
- Relocated and started refurbishing the main disc golf course sign.
- Hosted a Northern Waters Series tournament at Avalanche (the first since 2009).
- Hosted a Trilogy Challenge and a 3rd annual "Haunted Hyzer" tournament.
- Course ranked #37 in Michigan on Disc Golf Scene with 121 reviews on 12/8/15.
- Installed a caution sign just beyond hole #14 (trial sign for evaluation).
- Finished upgrading nearly all of the tee pads to carpet.
- Refurbished and sealed all of the new tee signs with epoxy resin.
- Hosted another Northern Waters Series tournament.
- Hosted a 2nd Trilogy Challenge and a 4th annual "Haunted Hyzer" tournament.
- Course ranked #28 in Michigan on Disc Golf Scene with 132 reviews on 12/21/16.
Future Goals & Ideas
- Add short or long tee pad options to some of the holes for evaluation.
- Finish refurbishing the main disc golf course sign.
- Be part of the Northern Waters Series once again.
- Host another Trilogy Challenge and a 5th annual "Haunted Hyzer" tournament.
- Possibly add more caution signs for safety.
- Possibly do one cement tee pad for evaluation (parks & rec approval received).
- Possibly add 3, 6, or 9 more permanent baskets to the course.
- Remain among the top 30 ranked Michigan courses on www.discgolfscene.com.
- Avalanche Weekly League
Thanks to B.C. PIZZA, DISC BARON, and TODD LEWIS for being club sponsors! Please click on the images below to visit their pages and support them, and click the link above for the 2017 schedule.
We always advocate supporting our local businesses like Tilley's in Traverse City and Yodaz Discnstuff, a new disc golf store in Kingsley (231-534-0060).
If you're in Grand Rapids or shopping online, please check out Disc Baron. Our friend and club member Jacob Stahl has a cool disc golf retail and online store.
C.J.L.P. is always doing great things to promote the sport and design new courses, and of course call Todd Lewis for your AAA and insurance needs (231-947-2399).
- Club Meetings
- Local Tournaments
- Trilogy Challenge Sunday 7/31/16
- Haunted Hyzer Saturday 10/15/16
- PDGA Disc Golfer's Code
(tournament Marksman basket)
East Jordan #8
East Jordan #8, #9, and #15
Hanson Hills #10
Hickory Hills #24
St. Ignace #6
Avalanche #13 and #18
East Jordan #14 and #17
River Road #19
Avalanche #2 and #7
East Jordan #15
Log Lake #9
River Road #1, #8, and #10
River Road #19
Boyne Mountain #16
River Road #20
Wild Haven #13
River Road #15
East Jordan #17
Log Lake #9
East Jordan #9