Added in 2002, our beautiful disc golf course at the Avalanche Preserve Recreation Area in Boyne City, Michigan was in disrepair and needed some love. Trash and vandalism had become a big issue, and navigation was difficult for players who were unfamiliar with the course. We formed the Boyne Valley Disc Golf Club in 2013 in order to protect, maintain, and improve this wonderful asset to our community. We promote responsible game play, good etiquette, and keeping the course clean and safe for all park users. Our mission statement also includes growing the sport and volunteering to help other local clubs and courses. We ended 2014 with 76 members.
Club Stuff Page Find Us on Facebook
Address = Boyne Valley Disc Golf Club, PO Box 712, Boyne City, MI 49712-0712
Email = firstname.lastname@example.org
Club Director = Jason McCary, 231-459-8527, email@example.com
Rob Wiltjer, Club Officer, 231-675-4623, firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary & Webmaster = Forrest Omland, 231-350-3660, email@example.com
We're always looking for new members! Detailed membership page coming soon. In the meantime just email us for more info. Annual dues are just a $5 donation to the club.
Club & Course Progress
2013 First Year Accomplishments
- Established a good relationship with the Boyne City Parks & Recreation Commission.
- Grew club to 35+ members and held weekly league play on Wednesday nights.
- Created scorecards and made them available at the main welcome sign.
- Provided additional trash barrels along the course (one for every hole).
- Touched up paint on the original baskets and repaired badly damaged basket #6.
- Added 14 new "next tee" navigation posts.
- Improved several gravel tee boxes by adding new log frames.
- Added plastic tree protection on holes #3 and #7.
- Installed 4'x6' rubber tee pad mats on holes #12 and #18.
- Received city budget proposal approval for 10 new baskets.
- Hosted our first annual "Haunted Hyzer" disc golf tournament in October.
- Improved the course ranking on Disc Golf Scene from #99 to #57 in Michigan.
- Grew club to 75+ members and continued weekly league play on Wednesday nights.
- Installed 10 new Discraft Chainstar baskets (front nine holes + practice basket).
- Adjusted all baskets to the correct height and added new number stickers.
- Made a new path from hole #1 to #2 coming up from behind the tee pad.
- Added a new tee pad on hole #2 using concrete pavers (trial material for evaluation).
- Provided additional log benches along the course (one for every hole).
- Hosted another very successful "Haunted Hyzer" tournament in October.
- Added Avalanche to the Northern Waters Disc Golf Series schedule for 2015.
- Course ranked #39 in Michigan on Disc Golf Scene with 73 reviews on 12/5/14.
- Finish replacing all of the tee signs. IN PROCESS
- Add wood chips underneath all of the baskets and on some of the paths.
- Install several safety signs near some of the blind corners on the course.
- Try trail base TSA (trail surface aggregate) on #10 tee pad (for evaluation).
- Help the city repair or replace the large welcome sign in the parking lot.
- Get the course map corrected and information updated on various websites.
- Host a "Boyne Valley Trilogy Challenge" tournament in July.
- Host a third annual "Haunted Hyzer" tournament in October.
- Be among the top 30 ranked Michigan courses on www.discgolfscene.com.
Future Goals & Ideas
- Possibly upgrade to cement tee pads on at least 9 of the holes.
- Add short or long tee pad options on some of the holes.
- Add 3, 6, or 9 additional holes to the course.
What's Going On
- Avalanche Weekly League Play $5
2015 league season = 24 weeks on WED nights from 4/22/15 through 9/30/15 alternating between singles and doubles.
The first 8 weeks are shown below.
5:00 registration, 5:15 tee off.
Wed 04/22 (S) Wed 05/20 (S)
Wed 04/29 (D) Wed 05/27 (D)
Wed 05/06 (S) Wed 06/03 (S)
Wed 05/13 (D) Wed 06/10 (D)
Thanks to B.C. PIZZA and DISC BARON for being league & tournament sponsors!
- 2015 Club Meeting Schedule
Tuesday 02/03 Tuesday 08/04
Tuesday 04/07 Tuesday 10/06
Tuesday 06/02 Tuesday 12/01
1st Tuesday of every other month.
6:00pm at Avalanche Preserve.
Additional meetings held as needed.
Agendas and minutes available below.
04/01/14 Meeting Agenda 04/01/14 Meeting Minutes 05/06/14 Meeting Agenda 05/06/14 Meeting Minutes 05/06/14 Club Newsletter 06/03/14 Meeting Agenda 07/17/14 Club Update For BCPRC 08/05/14 Meeting Agenda 08/05/14 Meeting Minutes 11/06/14 Club Update For BCPRC 12/04/14 Meeting Agenda 12/04/14 Meeting Minutes 02/03/15 Meeting Agenda 02/03/15 Meeting Minutes 04/07/15 Meeting Agenda 04/07/15 Meeting Minutes
- 2015 Club Sponsor - Disc Baron
When it comes to buying discs and other supplies, we always advocate supporting our local businesses like Tom & Dick's in Petoskey and Tilley's in Traverse City.
If you're in Grand Rapids or shopping online, please check out Disc Baron. Our friend and club member Jacob Stahl has a cool disc golf retail and online store.
- Club Logo Designs By Ethan Knott
- New Tee Signs By Jason McCary
2015 Club Members (59)
- Greg Argyle
- Carrie Beemon
- Anthony Carpenter
- Miles Chisholm
- Dave D'Amour
- Corey Eaton
- Logan Erber
- Jeff Fish
- Bill Fuller
- Dave Fuller
- Jennifer Goodwin
- Scott Gross
- Marc Hamlin
- Will Hasseld
- Josh Henry
- Aimee Hewitt
- Adam Hillsamer
- Aaron Himmelspach
- Pat Hood
- Joe Houser
- Adam Hubble
- Roman Idolski
- Ryan Kasper
- Martin Kirk
- Kyle Klingelsmith
- Eric Klooster
- Rick Kole
- Ethan Knott
- Brian Kuhs
- Todd Lewis
- Mike Madison
- Jason McCary
- Kyle Mihatsch
- Michael Mitrovich
- Justin Mosley
- Mitch O'Brien
- Forrest Omland
- Tom Pluister
- Matt Powers
- Stephanie Seeley
- Adam Sessions
- Joshua Siwek
- Roy Smithkey
- Jacob Stahl
- Aaron Sulak
- Amanda Sulak
- Beau Tillotson
- Bill Towne
- Alissa Urman
- Jenna Urman
- Todd Urman
- Russ Van Horn
- Caiden Watkins
- Marianne Watkins
- Rochelle Wieber
- Jacob Wilson
- Rob Wiltjer
- Jonathan Winslow
- Matt Wixsom
- Italics = Founding Club Member
- Bold = Honorary Lifetime Member
Avalanche Hole #3
Hanson Hills Hole #10
Hickory Hills Hole #24
Avalanche Hole #3
Log Lake Hole #9